The Talon

Album Review: “Anti” by Rihanna

Talon Staff

Talon Staff

Keeshawn Gaddy, J1 Reporter

Rihanna released her eighth studio album “Anti” on January 28, 2016 under the label Def Jam Recordings. The main genre of the album is contemporary R&B, but there are songs that are ballads and some have a dance vibe to them. My initial thoughts of this album were going to be representing her Barbadian background. I thought she was going to use her accent more often than usual, especially after hearing her first single “Work” featuring Drake, where you could hear that Barbadian accent. For the most part, I got what I expected, and in some cases it was exceeded. Some tracks sagged and others thrived, but overall the album was good. These are my opinions of the standard edition of Rihanna’s “Anti” album.

The 1st song off of the album is “Consideration” featuring SZA, and when I first heard this I noticed it was only two minutes. Despite being only two minutes, it was a good two minutes.

“James Joint” is the second track, and this song I wouldn’t really call a “song” because this was only a minute. I thought of it more of an interlude than a song, but her vocals were good and she went off beat at some parts, but it worked.

The third track is “Kiss It Better,” and I thought this had a good hook, her vocals were on point, it had a good beat, and you could hear a guitar in the background.

“Work” featuring Drake is the fourth song on the album, and I can’t stop replaying that song. The video was released yesterday, and was the first single off the album. Drake and Rihanna were both on point with this, and I thought Drake was going to use his dance moves from his music video “Hotline Bling.” The song just makes you want to get up and dance and not care who is watching. Even after the song, I was still singing it in my head. Some parts I couldn’t understand what she was saying, but it didn’t matter. This was my favorite song off the entire studio album.

“Desperado” is the fifth song, and it had a good beat and hook, but other than that there wasn’t anything too special about it.

“Woo” is the sixth track, and the beginning of the song is delayed. Rihanna didn’t start singing until I saw the time stamp hit thirty seconds. The song was okay, but her voice sounded as if she was speaking into a kid’s microphone toy. It was troubling at times to understand what she was saying. Toward the beginning I thought I wasn’t going to like it, but as it progressed I  had a change of heart.

The seventh track is called “Needed Me”. This is my second favorite song next to “Work,” and it had a chill vibe to it. I bobbed my head the entire time listening to this track.

The eighth song is “Yeah, I Said it,” and like “Needed Me” it had a laid back vibe to it. It was also a song on the shorter side being only two minutes, but it was a pretty good two minutes.

“Same Ol’ Mistakes” is the ninth track and is a cover of Tame Impala’s song, and this song is six minutes right off the bat. It has a delayed start, and has this electronic vibe to it. At the bridge of the song the beat and Rihanna’s voice both became higher in pitch, which I thought was good. The bridge really woke me up, and overall was a good song.

The tenth track is “Never Ending,” and for this song I can picture people who play the guitar gathering around and playing this song in sync. The vocals are outstanding and I could feel Rihanna putting her heart into this song, because it felt so pure and natural.

“Higher” is the eleventh song off the studio album being on the shorter side and only being two minutes. I could hear violins or cellos playing in the background which I thought were unique, and her vocals were on point. The song was decent.

Now the final song is “Closer To You” which is the ballad of the album, and I thought this song was beautiful. I could foresee her performing this song at The Grammy’s or something with her wearing a long flowing dress, a spotlight on her and the pianist, and with the crowd completely silent as they hear her vocals in awe.

Overall this album is pretty good, and if I were to rate this I’d give it a 4.4 out of five stars. It also seems she took a different approach with this album. I thought she really showed her true self within this album and I think that’s why people were hesitant to get it after “Work” came out because of how it sounded. For what it was, this was a really good album and I don’t think it was what people were expecting.