The Talon

Movie Review: The Boy

Diarra Barnes, J1 Reporter

“The Boy” is one of the most talked about movies of the year so far. From recently watching it, it’s very suspenseful and twisted. This is an awesome movie because you may think it’s a normal horror story, but you’re actually in for a surprise. If you haven’t seen this movie yet, I recommend anyone from the age 13 and up to go see it.

In this movie, the story takes place in the modern rich side of London. It’s about a young woman who takes an offer to travel to London and babysit a young boy while his parents go out of town for a couple of weeks. They pay very well so she never hesitated to take the job.  As she arrives, she learns that the little boy is not a real boy, but really is a doll. She obviously was surprised and not comfortable about it, but she stayed anyway and that was the worst mistake she had ever done. As the story unfolds, a lot of strange things go on around the house and she believes that the doll is alive. The main characters of this movie are Diana Hard-Castle and Jim Norton. They play Mr. and Mrs. Heelshire, who are the parents of the doll. Also there is Rupert Evans who plays Malcom. He is the grocery boy, who has been delivering groceries the house for years. Lauren Cohan plays Greta. She is the babysitter. James Russel plays himself as James. He is the crazy abusive ex-boyfriend of Greta. Last but not least is Scott McGlyn who plays the doll, Peter.

All of the actors and actresses did a wonderful job and showed professional acting skills. They mad the story feel real and keeps you engaged. Also the producers made great choices on who they wanted to play in the movie. The best characters throughout the movie are Greta and Malcom.

The movie was intimidating and wondrous. It had plenty of surprises like when Greta found out that Peter was a doll and not a boy. That was not expected at all. I mean, who in their right mind would babysit a doll or pretend to be its real parents? Also I like how Greta and Malcom grew a strong bond throughout the movie. They helped each other out and protected each other.  Of course the surprise at the end was the best part of the movie. Unfortunately, there was one thing I disliked about the movie; they didn’t give James, the crazy ex, enough scenes.

The lesson this movie teaches is if something doesn’t feel right, always go with your gut. Greta knew something wasn’t right when she agreed to babysit a doll, but the money was good. In result she still did it and ended up paying the consequences. Some advice people should take is no matter how much money or benefits you get for doing something; if it doesn’t feel right don’t do it. You could end up like Greta.

This movie is PG-13. Teenagers and young adults would be more attracted to this movie because it’s exciting. I wouldn’t recommend it to small children because it’s a bit scary and it has profanity. Overall the film is great and I guarantee you will love it. On a grading scale I would give this movie a B.