The Talon

Music Review: The Life of Pablo

Ibrahim Wurie, J1 Reporter

Kanye West is a well known artist of our time; he recently released his 7th studio album called “The Life of Pablo” on Valentine’s Day.  The genre of the album is mostly Hip Hop/Rap with some features of artist who actually do not fall under the genre Hip Hop/Rap. My reaction after first listening to TLOP was that it really inspired me to be the best person I can be. The album was beautiful it really had me smiling throughout my entire day.

Kanye West is a very creative artist who is really caught up in his own world and he is very arrogant or cocky some would say. Kanye has been around in the music industry for a while now appearing on Common’s 2005 album “Be” and producing much of Jay Z’s blueprint albums. Kanye has released 6 studio albums not including his latest album “The Life of Pablo” starting from the album he won Rap album of the year Grammy Award for. In 2004 Kanye released his debut album “College Dropout”, in 2005 his album “Late Registration, 2007 his album “Graduation”, the album he made after the passing of his own mother “808’s and Heartbreak”, his best album all of time 2010 “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy”, and his controversial album “Yeezus.” The Life of Pablo compares to most of his albums because he somehow brings up a rap style from each one of his previous album.

The overall theme for the album “The Life of Pablo” is actually Kanye’s life. The albums name stands for how there is plenty of great Pablo’s the world has seen from Pablo Picasso, Pablo Escobar, St. Paul who is known as San Pablo, Poet Pablo Neruda. The album name choice mostly correlates to all the different personalities Kanye believes he has. The lyrics on this album all over the place but they really have to deal with the accomplishments Kanye has made in his life especially overcoming battles society has made for him and building up his family with his wife. Some examples of the lyrics are “I ain’t drop the album but the shoes went platinum” regarding the release of the shoe of the year “Yeezy boost.” “I remember rappin’ for Jay and Cam Young producer just trying to get his flows off” talking about his achievement and how he got to where he is today. “10 thousand dollar fur for Nori, I just copped it (Yo!) Your baby daddy won’t even take your daughter shoppin’ (Yo!)” Kanye is referring to how much money he has made that he can give his daughter the world.

One of the tracks that really stood out to fans was “Real Friends” mostly because it reminded his diehard fans of Kanye in 2010 when he released the best album of his life “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.” Also another song that really stood out to the media not only fans was “Wolves” and it was the fact that Kanye somehow got Frank Ocean out of hiding just so he could feature in this song. To be completely honest in my opinion there was no tracks that really sagged to me because the album had so many different vibes to it. This album is very different from the other albums in its genre mostly because the album brings many different vibes not just one simple vibe.

The album was one that I really looked forward to ever since summer 2013 with his release “Yeezus.” I honestly give the album a rating of 8 out of 10 just because I really believe Kanye could have done a little better with the lyrics he chose for some of the songs. Overall, the album is really good and is one I suggest everyone listen to. Hopefully it will have a positive effect on you like it did on me.