The Talon

Ebola epidemic

Gabby Arevalo, J1 reporter

Ebola is an infectious and frequently fatal disease marked by fever and severe internal bleeding. It’s spread through contact with infected body fluids by a filovirus, whose normal host species is unknown. The beginning of May is when the Ebola virus became known again to the people of Congo. The outbreak has infected 54 people, killing half of them in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Twenty-seven have been found dead so far, 11,000 total dead from the disease since its outbreak in 2014. Two infected patients were in quarantine but escaped and fled to the city of 1.2 million people. One died and was found near a river later on, while the other patient was found alive in the city. To help the disease, there is a vaccine that is under development but still not safe and very effective for humans. The treatment was created by scientist in Canada.

According to a May, 2018 Reuters.com article, the recent Ebola outbreak marks the ninth time the disease has taken a toll on West Africa since since its discovery in the 1970’s. Between April 4 and May 17, a total of 45 cases of Ebola have been reported and 14 have been confirmed by authorities. The ministry of health of the Congo said most of the infection was contained to the Bikoro health zone but infections have now spread to Mkbandaka.

Freedom science teacher Mr. Mark Ulanowicz said, “I think they make the vaccine with harsh chemicals and materials to make sure it doesn’t cross paths with the people any further.”  Also, Freedom nurse, Mrs. Kati Karamanus said we can prevent it by “…washing our hands with hot water and soap very often and don’t come into contact with anybody or their bodily fluids.” Initial symptoms include the sudden onset of fever , fatigue , muscle pain, sore throats, vomiting blood , and headaches.