The Talon

Throw Back Thursday: Boyz II Men

Myles Baynard, Reporter

Looking back through the years, great male groups appear every decade. The 60s had the Temptations; the 70s had Earth, Wind, and Fire and the Jackson 5; the 80s had New Edition and rappers Run DMC, but what about the 90s?

The 90s produced great acts like: Jodeci, Dru Hill, LSG, Mint Condition, The Lost Boys, and Public Enemy, but one of the bestselling all-male groups was Boyz II Men!

Founded in Philadelphia the group met at Creative and Performing in Philadelphia Arts the members consisting of Shawn Stockman and Wanya Morris both tenors, Nathan Morris a baritone, and former member Michael McCary a bass. Quickly rising to fame by winning talent shows and singing at sport events, the young men were soon founded by Michael Bivens of Bel Biv Devoe also a former member of New Edition and were signed by Motown thus creating history.

Sticking to and remixing their classic Motown roots, Boyz II Men are among the biggest names in acappella and R&B. Adding a new taste to the doo-wop harmony, Boyz II Men found them at the center of the 1990s music movement taking R&B back into the mainstream, where it had been last seen in the 1970s. While their use of hip-hop beats in combination with R&B weren’t unique, it was Boyz II Men’s enormous success with mainstream audiences by putting harmony over the hip-hop tracks making them rise to the top.

Boyz II Men’s songs are known world-wide. At least one person in every house has had one copy of their hit records songs that captivated people’s hearts, or made people just dance along to their music, hit songs like; “Motown Philly, I’ll Make Love To You, End of the Road, and One Sweet Day” featured R&B singer Mariah Carey. With their successful songs they won various Grammy awards for R&B performances in 1992, 93, and 95, and Grammy awards for Best R&B Album in 92, 93, and 95. With their success in music, Boyz II Men found themselves having their own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and at the top of the billboard records for a majority of their careers placing them fourth on the list right behind Elvis Presley.

Boyz II have been a huge part of people’s lives from the beginning and remain popular for new generations of fans.